Monday, September 2, 2013

Labour Day in Canada - Honouring my Dad

John Kurchak - my Dad
Labour Day.

My Dad, John Kurchak, walked in the Toronto Labour Day Parade for as many years as he was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers Union - over 50 years. In his youth, he was a union organizer at cost to him when he was assaulted and then fired. To save the food at home for his widowed mom, Dad stood in a soup kitchen line for lunch until he got another job. Later, he become a Business Rep for his union local, and then worked for the Ontario Federation of Labour. Dad ended his career as a provincial mediator, appointed by Premier Peterson.

Dad was a union man, through and through.

The Ontario Nurses Association formed in 1973, just two years before I began my nursing career. Because of the union, I earned $10, 000 a year instead of 7,000, and had to have at least one day off every 10 days.As a teacher, the Alberta Teachers' Association ensured that my work environment allowed me to do my absolute best for my students.

Over my life, I have seen the rights, lifestyles and dignity of workers protected by the sacrifices and efforts of my Dad, and other labour minded men and women.

I am grateful, and honoured to be my Dad's daughter.

Labour Day - it's a day of recognition and gratitude.

Thank you.

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment