Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Introducing Kids to the Life Cycle

Hello again;

Play is a safe place to introduce concepts of death and dying.
 There's an interesting YouTube video by a Death Cafe facilitator in Australia, Kim Ryder. However, it's not the part about her Death Cafés that is so intriguing -  it's how she's teaching her daughter to become comfortable talking about death.

In "Death Café ( The Feed)" the viewer  watches Ryder incorporating concepts and concrete examples of death into playtime with her daughter. At my first viewing, I was a little shocked - I won't tell you about the content because I'm hoping that you'll watch the video yourself. However, the more I thought about Ryder's strategies, I began to to wonder "why not?"

In fact, whereas I initially thought that Death Café was a bold platform for raising an awareness of death, I now think it a very safe and gentle approach. The guests are like-minded people in an atmosphere of respect and openness, talking about issues which are fascinating and enlightening, all while "breaking bread", actually cake, together.

Why not have a peek at Ryder's video to watch a mom's intentional strategies to prepare her daughter to take care of her mother at her deathbed? I'm VERY interested to hear what you think.

I might show the video at the October 20th Death Cafe. If you would like to join the discussion, there are a few seats remaining. To grab one of the spaces, send me an email at yycdeathcafe@gmail.com.  I'll confirm your registration with a return email. The cafè details are in the upper right corner of this screen.

In the meantime, I heard this tidbit on Calgary CTV news: 2% of people who make purchases online admit to shopping with their iPhones while at a funeral. I wonder what they're buying?

Warmly
Wendy Kurchak
CT, B.Ed. B.MusA, DipNursing, DipGuidance, CPW



No comments:

Post a Comment