Thursday, March 28, 2013

Don't forget...

My Calgary "family" at the 2012 Calgary Hike for Hospice
Last year I found a beautifully written article by Rona Maynard.  The piece was a poignant reminder of a lesson I learned  36 years ago as an Emerg nurse in a busy Toronto hospital.

That evening, an Asian woman with a ruptured brain anuerysm had been admitted  to my acute care room . While celebrating her 35th birthday at a local restaurant she collapsed on her way to the table. Without gaining consciousness, without saying "Goodbye" or "I love you." to any of her family or friends, she died.

As I watched her grieving family sobbing and saying their own goodbyes to she who had been their wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend, I told myself, "Never forget that you don't always have tomorrow. Don't wait to tell anyone that you love them - do it today."

Of course, I have forgotten this lesson - often. Maynard's article reminds me;

If I love someone, tell them - today.
If I am grateful to someone, tell them - today.
If I need to say I'm sorry to someone, tell them - today.
If I need to extend grace or forgiveness to someone, tell them - today.
Whatever I need to say or do, do it - today.

Not only may these things lead to a richer and more authentic life today, they may become precious memories on another day. So, don't forget.

So,  here's the link to Rona Maynard's story about friendship:
http://www.ronamaynard.com/index.php?by-phone-or-facebook-an-unforgettable-friendship

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment